FirstPic, Inc. worked with the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation and EXACT Sports, Inc. to create the Healthy Choices, Healthy Children curriculum, which is a life skills curriculum for use in the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation’s Badges for Baseball program. The Healthy Choices, Healthy Children curriculum draws upon The Ripken Way, a collection of life lessons taught by Cal Ripken, Sr. during his days as a coach in Major League Baseball. By adhering to the four basic principles of the Ripken way (Keep it Simple, Explain Why, Celebrate the Individual, Make it Fun), the curriculum helps programs educate middle and high school youth about the value of positive life choices.
As part of this partnership, FirstPic, Inc. was asked to:
- Draft program specific educational activities to be used in the curriculum.
- Coordinate efforts of consultants in the development of the curriculum.
- Review written materials to ensure appropriateness for the intended audience (middle school youth) and setting (after school programs).
- Design and print curriculum manual and activity book to be used in the program.
- Plan and facilitate training and technical assistance activities.
- Develop and administer evaluation tools for pilot sites.
- Make suggestions for edits to the curriculum based on feedback from evaluation data.
In partnership with the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation, National 4-H Council and the State Department’s SportsUnited program, FirstPic, Inc. helped to facilitate a two way exchange between youth and coaches in Nicaragua and the United States. As part of this program, FirstPic, Inc. staff traveled to Nicaragua to provide training and technical assistance for programs being set up through the Fabretto Children’s Foundation, as well as the Nicaraguan groups visit to the United States.