In 2010, FirstPic, Inc. launched the Boys & Girls Clubs in Indian Country (BGCIC) AmeriCorps VISTA Pilot Project in collaboration with BGCA. During the first four years of implementation, the VISTA Project placed 57 VISTA members and 73 Summer Associates at 23 Native Boys & Girls Clubs.
AmeriCorps is a national network of local, state, and national service programs that taps the skills, talents, and passion of more than 75,000 Americans each year with service at nonprofits, public agencies, and faith-based and community organizations. Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty through indirect, capacity building services. VISTA celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2015 with over 7,000 members serving full time in low-income communities around the country.
VISTA members that serve with Native Boys & Girls Clubs strategically empower Clubs in the areas of Healthy Futures and Education through the following objectives:
- Program development and impact
- Resource development
- Sustainability efforts
- Building and maintaining strategic partnerships
FirstPic, Inc.’s responsibilities for this project initiative are to:
- Coordinate and manage the recruitment, application, placement, and service requirements of VISTA members and Summer Associates in local Native Boys & Girls Clubs.
- Serve as the liaison between the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), BGCIC, Club sites, VISTA members and Summer Associates.
- Develop and facilitate Webinar trainings and conference calls for Club sites, VISTA members, and Summer Associates, conduct monthly check-ins, as well as periodic site visits to ensure local programs are operating effectively.
- Manage the reporting and administrative requirements for BGCIC, Club sites, VISTA members, and Summer Associates.