The fourth annual National Intertribal Youth Summit (NIYS), Young Leaders Shaping Their Communities, was held in Bethesda, Maryland at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center from July 28-August 2, 2012. Tribal youth from across the Nation joined U.S. government representatives, youth advocates, and field experts to engage in interactive discussions on topics including tribal education and careers, personal empowerment and emerging leadership, substance and alcohol abuse prevention, healthy relationships and lifestyles, cultural preservation and community development, and environmental protection. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Justice’s Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, concurrent sessions and activities provided participants with opportunities to address issues raised in the 2011 National Intertribal Youth Summit Listening to Youth Voices session. Youth also participated in teams to develop public service announcements to share with their tribal leaders and communities.
In 2012, FirstPic, Inc. assisted the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) in expanding NIYS participation, enhancing programming, and coordinating logistics. FirstPic Inc.’s responsibilities included:
- Preparation, production, and distribution of application and registration materials.
- Recruitment of participating tribes.
- Summit planning, management, and registration services.
- Summit material development.
- Logistical arrangements for youth participants and adult team leaders.
- Development of evaluation for Summit concurrent sessions.
- On-site training and logistical support.
- Support to ensure completion of reports to the funding agency.